The Rules: Randomly pick 12 of your original characters – without looking at the questions.
Easy, since I have characters listed in the sidebar, and there happen to be twelve of them. So, that’s my list.
Here are the questions, and my answers:.
1. Who would make a better college professor: 6 or 11?
The Golden or Dr. Lee? Three mysterious high school students or the leader of a mysterious motorcycle gang? Well, Dr. Lee is famous for never telling anything to anybody, so I guess it would be the Golden. I have no idea what they would teach, though.
2. Do you think 2 is hot? How hot?
Marshall? Actually, there has never been a physical description of him, though various women (and two transvestites) have found him at least somewhat attractive. Not my type, though.
3. 12 sends 8 on a mission. What is it, and does it succeed?
This was a tricky one. Neil, who is extremely competent in everything we see him do, asks Pete (a rather nebbishy bass player and obsessive-compulsive list-maker) to do something? What could Neil want Pete to do that Neil himself couldn’t do better? Then it came to me. Neil wants a favor from starling, and she’s a lot more likely to say yes to Pete than to Neil. I’m imagining she says yes, because if she was going to say no Neil wouldn’t have asked in the first place.
4. What is, or would be, 9’s favorite book?
No specific titles, but it would be a book about psychology. Other than Pete’s comics, that’s the only thing we’ve see starling read.
5. Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Marshall and the Golden? He would never swear fealty to them; his featly is spoken for already. So, I guess them to him, though it’s hard to imagine.
6. For some reason, 5 is looking for a room-mate. Should they share a studio apartment with 9 or 10?
Fifteen with either starling or Daphne? Either one, because he gets along with both (and they live together anyway). I think this scenario has the makings of a wacky sitcom, by the way.
7. 2, 7, and 12 have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
Marshall, Susan Tumolo, and Neil? Being all older, and of very different dispositions and interests, maybe the deplorable state of education these days. And they’d go someplace nice, in the city, someplace Susan knows from when she worked at City Hall.
8. 3 challenges 10 to a duel. What happens?
Ron is tough, but Daphne is older and much bigger. She’d get Ron down on the ground, lick her face, and then try to hump her leg (Daphne is a dog).
9. If 1 stole 8’s most precious possession, how would they get it back?
Jan Sleet steals something from Pete? He asks for it back. If that doesn’t work, I guess he asks starling to get it for him. Hard to imagine the scenario, though.
10. Suggest a title for a story in which 7 and 12 both attain what they most desire.
Susan and Neil? “Turn Back the Hands of Time”? (They both have regrets about the past.) “Gotta Serve Somebody”? (Each has been the assistant of a very powerful person, and they were both happy in the role.)
11. What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 and 1 to work together?
No plot device necessary, since Christy often works with the great detective, as security.
12. If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
Easily the worst of the twelve. Not at all sympatico.
13. If you could command 3 to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
I would never command Ron to do anything.
14. Do any of your friends resemble 11 (either in appearance or personality)?
Dr. Lee? She looks somewhat like my ex-wife. Very different personality, though. There are other characters who are somewhat based on my ex, but I’m not saying who.
15. If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, which would it be?
Marshall choosing between Fifteen and Christy? Easy, he’d choose Fifteen, because if he chose Christy his wife would never let him live it down.
16. What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
Woof! Woof! (She’s a dog, remember.)
17. If you chose a song to represent 8, which song would you choose?
That song by the Police, “I’ll be watching you…” That one. I’m blanking on the name. (He’s an observer type.)
18. 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
Easy. The Golden would never grab something away from somebody else, and Neil is a gentleman, so Jan would get it. Which she might have anyway (she has quick hands).
19. What might be a good pick-up line for 2 to use on 10?
Woof, woof. (Dog, remember.)
20. What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Hmmm. Aiding and abetting an illegal rock music event.
21. What is 6’s secret?
The Golden’s secret? They certainly have one, and I have no idea what it is. They may be my Tom Bombadil, the one element that’s never explained.
22. If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Dr. Lee wouldn’t stand a chance. starling is bigger, faster, and very heavily armed.
23. If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 or 8?
Cripes, they wouldn’t be my first choice, either one of them. Couldn’t I have starling or Neil or Christy or Vicki? Anyway, Susan would be useless (disdain is not a really effective defense), so I’d go with Pete. At least maybe he could talk us out of trouble.
24. 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4’s sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that he/she is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this story?
Parallel Time, obviously.